Music Preservation Society, Inc.
Board of Directors, 2018-2019
- Tori Bailey, President
- Dr. Felice Green, President Elect
- Dick Cooper, Vice President
- Honorable Gil Self, Immediate Past President
- Alison Stanfield, Secretary
- Tim Leigh, Treasurer
- Suzanne Bolton, Board Member
- Byron "Trip" Bower, Board Member
- Jimmy Nutt, Board Member
- Susie Rickard, Board Member
- Mike Adams, Board Member
- Rod Sheppard, Board Member
- Matt Golley, Board Member
W.C. Handy Festival Steering Committee 2019
- Tori Bailey, Festival Chair and Board President
- Dr. Felice Green, President Elect & Friends Coordinator
- Dick Cooper, Board Vice President & Technical Director
- Alison Stanfield, Board Secretary and PR Chair
- Suzanne Bolton, Board Member & Event Editor
W.C. Handy Festival Music Committee 2019
- Dick Cooper — Committee Chair
- Tori Bailey — Festival Chair
- Randy Bruce
- Suzanne Bolton
- John Aiken
2019 Music Preservation Society Staff
- Linda Waide, Executive Director
- Marie Branch, Accounting Manager
The names of our W.C. Handy Festival Event Coordinators are also available upon request by calling 256-766-7642.
The Music Preservation Society, Inc. is a not for profit organization. Sponsors who wish to may make checks payable to the Music Preservation Society, Inc. will be invoiced through the Handy Festival and provided with our tax identification number.
Messages may be left for the individuals listed above by calling our MPS/Festival office at 256-766-7642.
W.C. Handy Festival Recognition
The first music festival dedicated to W. C. Handy was held in 1982 in the Florence, Ala. (Shoals area). Since then, each year the Festival has attracted a growing number of talented musicians from around the world, who draw increasing numbers of visitors from many states and countries to the Shoals area, providing an economic tourism boost to the state of Alabama.
The W. C. Handy Music Festival is recognized as:
- An Alabama Top 20 Event
- Southeast Tourism Society Top 20 Events for the months of July, August, September each year since 1986
- Geotourism MapGuide to Appalachia Featured Site
- Three time Cultural Olympiad Regional Designee
- Southeast Tourism Top 21 Event for July
- Travelocity.com - "Local Secret, Big Find"
- Top 100 Event in North America